What a start to 2020 we are having. Brexit in January; floods in February; and now COVID-19.
The LSGC golfing calendar started with a record attendance for our Winter lunch at the New Zealand Golf Club. Because of the weather, golf was delayed until the afternoon which meant we all enjoyed the extended hospitality of the clubhouse and for those more adventurous we discovered a nearby TOPGOLF centre – great fun for a rainy day. Check it out.
Our only other event so far was our match against the Valuers and Auctioneers GS scheduled for West Hill Golf Club. After a night of heavy rain, the course was closed. With the help of the West Hill secretary, we arranged a rapid relocation to nearby West Byfleet Golf Club, the only nearby club that was open and able to fit us in. I am pleased to report the LSGC ended the day triumphant.
Since then, as you will know, the impact of COVID-19 has meant the cancellation of all our events until the beginning of June. I anticipate this is likely to extend further. Our secretary will be communicating with you all again about this in due course.
…ON THE POSITIVE SIDE
Although there is much to be concerned about, there are positives to take from our current situation. Reports indicate:
– There have been significant reductions in pollution levels
– Residents in Venice have reported a vast improvement in the water levels of their famous canals
– Thousands of support groups have been set up sparking a trend known as “caremongering”
– It is still possible to go on tours of museums and art galleries – in virtual format
– drugs and people trafficking has reduced significantly
– Face masks are still available. See below for a make that I think will be of interest to a number of our members !
– AND, Many golf courses remain open for social golf
THE LSGC IS STILL OPEN
This virus has affected our lives in unprecedented ways. I know there are those of us who are self isolating. It is at times like this that we come to value in new ways what our friendships mean to us. I believe it is that unique friendship we enjoy within the LSGC which inspires and unites us and means OUR GOLF CLUB IS STILL OPEN even though we cannot meet on the golf course at the moment. Although we are a disparate club with members all over England and Wales, we can still keep in touch remotely. If each of us telephoned at least one other member this week, I believe this would do much to keep the spirit of our club alive and thriving. May I invite you to do so.
TO YOU ALL, keep safe and well and I look forward to seeing you before too long.
Captain, The Law Society Golf Club